Fisher-Cheney Funeral Home came into existence at its present location in July of 1977, as a result of a merger of the Cron- Cheney funeral home (est. 1974) and the Fisher Funeral Home. (Est. 1930). The owner and operator of Fisher-Cheney Funeral Home, S. Howard Cheney began his career in the funeral business as an employee of a local funeral home in his hometown of Richwood, Ohio back in 1956. He opened up Cheney Funeral Home in Richwood in 1960, received his degree from Cincinnati College of Embalming in 1962, moved to Troy in 1974 and purchased the Cron Funeral Home (est. 1888).

Mr. Cheney is heavily involved in the Troy community and participates in many professional and service activities. He has been a Rotarian since June of 1974, a Free and Accepted Mason, York Rite Mason, Scottish Rite Mason, and a Shriner. He is also a member of the National Funeral Directors Association and Ohio Funeral Directors Association and the Ohio Embalmers Association.

Since 1977, Fisher-Cheney Funeral Home has undergone many changes that have added to the size of the building and number of parking spaces. In 1980, the East Chapel was enlarged and can now seat 140 people comfortably. In 1996, the West Chapel saw a major renovation that resulted in a new seating capacity of 275 for a total seating capacity of 415 people. Finally in 2001, the parking lot was enlarged to 104 total spaces.